Name: Alexander Radsby
Location: Kalmar, Sweden
Occupation: Student, Freelance Designer/Developer
0. Can you describe the term ‘design’?
Problem-solving and aesthetic creativity.
1. How do you usually start out new project (creating sketches, surfing
around net, playing with design tools)?
It depends on what I’m supposed to do. Anything web-related has to be well thought through, a lot of research and structural planning.
Making artworks is the opposite, it’s aesthetic freedom. I experiment a lot.
2. How does your creative process work?
2. Gather resources and inspiration
3. Making a prototype on paper or in Adobe Photoshop
4. Start working
5. Make some small changes
6. One night of good sleep
7. If I still like what I see keep on working or go back to step 3
8. Finalize the work
3. What kind of computer and graphic programs do you use?
I work on a Apple iMac 24″, 2,8 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo Extreme, 3gb ram. I also work with a Wacom Intuos3 A5 Wide. The softwares are: Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Flash, Adobe Flexbuilder, Adobe After Effects, Cinema 4d, 3d Studio Max.
4. What brought you to the design and what did you do before design?
James Widegren (http://www.jameswidegren.com) brought me to design. He inspired me to start doing websites which led to Adobe Photoshop and the rest is history.
I didn’t do anything before design, I was young when I started out, around 13 years old. I guess that I both listened/played a lot of music.
5. What and who influenced your design?
Now all my friends at Depthcore (http://www.depthcore.com).
6. What are your projects?
Right now? I’m busy studying for the finals, so a lot of Adobe Flash &amp;amp;amp; Actionscript 3.
I also work on the application for the school Hyper Island (http://www.hyperisland.se)
7. Tips for new designers?
Don’t be afraid to ask questions, we were all beginners when we started out. Work hard and try to take in constructive feedback.
8. What are the most common design mistakes that you see?
9. If there wasn’t a design what think you’d be doing today?
Hmm, I probably would be working as a music producer or studio musician.
10. List some of your favourite design links?